The Institute for the Musical ArtsThe Institute for the Musical Arts was founded by Ann Hackler and June Millington in Northern California in 1987. Its studio and programs operated from Bodega, California’s historic Old Creamery until 2001 when they purchased property in western Massachusetts for a permanent facility. The institute’s nonprofit mission is to support women and girls in music and music-related businesses. Rooted in the legacy of progressive equal rights movements, IMA’s development is guided by the visions, needs and concerns of women from a diversity of backgrounds and has grown from the desire to nourish ourselves, each other and the larger communities to which we belong. The 25-acre property on which IMA is located features a house and several barns, all built in the early 1800’s. The largest barn has been converted into a recording, performance and teaching facility. The property accommodates a multitude of artistic and educational endeavors and has performance space seating for 150, two world-class recording studios, and housing for up to 25 people. In addition to summer programs for girls and young women, IMA offers concerts and workshops year-round that unless otherwise noted are open to the public.
Projects Funded On Catapult